Main Feature: Simon Crook discusses his recent PhD thesis exploring the impact of 1-1 laptop programs on teaching high school science.
Regular Features: Off Campus, Dan Haesler asks ‘is mindset a lie’?; Education in the News, Cameron considers issues of teacher attrition; Teachers Brains Trust, David from WA questions reports of mandatory tests for WA primary school students.
Timecodes & Links:
00.00 Opening Credits
01:19 Intro – A hot start to the year!
02:52 Off Campus – Is mindset a lie?
- More from Dan at danhaesler.com
15:47 Teacher Attrition
42:17 Teachers Brains Trust – School Exams in WA
46:27 Feature Introduction
48:17 Interview – Simon Crook
- Simon’s research papers:
- Seeing eye-to-eye on ICT: Science student and teacher perceptions of laptop use across 14 Australian schools
- Bloom-ing Heck! The Activities of Australian Science Teachers and Students Two Years into a 1:1 Laptop Program Across 14 High Schools
- An Evaluation of the Impact of 1:1 Laptops on Student Attainment in Senior High School Sciences
- Comparison of Technology Use Between Biology and Physics Teachers in a 1:1 Laptop Environment
- In review, watch this space
- Thomson’s Experiment (simulation discussed)
- PhET simulations (discussed)
- Crooked Science website – crookedscience.com
- Podcast – Education Research Reading Room
Vol 85, Issue 1, pp. 3 – 49
First published date: March-01-2015
1:28:42 Quote & Sign Off