In this episode we discuss the history of the Gonski review and the new Better Schools funding legislation. We also interview Melbourne University Academic Bronwyn Hinz about the details of the Better Schools legislation.
00:00 – Opening & Introduction
- Reflection on response to Ep. 001
- We are on iTunes! – Click Here
- Plans for future episodes: TER goes fortnightly!
02:48 – Education in the News
- Malala Yousafzai addresses the UN – External Link
- Taliban member write open letter to Malala – External Link
- New Pakistan TV show inspired by Malala – External Link
- Twitter reaction to Federal coalition education platform – External Link
- NSW Shuns Independent Public Schools – External Link
- Catholic schools sign on to Gonski – External Link
- Proposed changes to copyright laws could affect education – External Link
05:18 – ‘Better Schools’, a.k.a. Gonski
06:22 – History of Gonski
7:55 – Interview with Bronwyn Hinz
- Issues with previous federal funding model
- Details of new funding arrangements
- Liberal party ‘business as usual’ policy
- Concerns over new regulations
18:35 – Panel discussion about Gonski
- State concerns over increased federal control
- Western Australia’s objections, Rudd’s response
- Increased focus on teacher professional development
- NSW Experience, NSW Institute of Teaching and Great Teaching Inspired Learning
- Uses of increased funding in school
26:49 – Preview of Part 2
27:30 – Quote and Farewell
27:48 – Closing credits / music.
Reblogged this on About Teaching.
Reblogged this on Capitan Typo's Adventures in Education and commented:
Episode two of my new podcast venture is up for the listening! You can also find us on itunes! the link is in the post.