Come to our first TER Live event: BYOD Policy Forum on March 25
Main Feature: Interview with Dr. Lesley-Anne Ey on the influence of media and music videos on increased sexual behaviour in children at younger ages. Regular Features: AITSL’s Teacher Feature, Danielle Cavill & Emily O’Connor talk about student voice; Education in the News; Teachers’ Brains Trust, Danielle Vandenberg talks about her early experiences with the Flipped Classroom; Mystery Educator competition.
Links and Show Notes
00:00:00 – Introduction
00:04:18 – AITSL’s Teacher Feature, Danielle Cavill and Emily O’Connor talk about student voice
00:08:06 – Education in the News
- Victorian Government Education Department investigates Access Ministries over inappropriate materials given to students
- A Queensland Director of Catholic Education admits to systems failure leading to prolonged child sexual abuse
- ACT announces plans to text literacy and numeracy of public school teachers
- NT Education Minister Peter Chandler releases discussion paper outlining possible overhaul of Education Act with specific reference to Independent Public Schools
- NSW Principals instructed to investigate any students absent for 10 days or more
- NAPLAN data on MySchool website updated on March 4 prompting numerous comparisons of schools & systems
- NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli speaks out against MySchool and the publication of assessment data
- Ongoing industrial action by teachers in the Northern Territory and Western Australia
- South Australian State Election on March 15 has significant focus on Education.
00:17:00 – News Analysis and Discussion
00:23:22 – Teachers’ Brains Trust: Danielle Vandenburg talks about her early experiences with the Flipped Classroom
00:30:37 – Mid Show Credits
00:31:47 – Main Feature: Interview with Dr. Lesley-Anne Ey about her research into the increasingly sexualised behaviour of students at a younger age, the role of media, particularly music video clips, on student behaviour and self-image, and the role that schools, parents and communities have to play in addressing the issue.
01:11:52 – Mystery Educator Competition
01:13;34 – Announcements
01:17:35 – Quote: “When you know better, you do better” – Maya Angelou
01:18:00 – Closing Credits